A challenge grant (which might also be called a matching grant) is our commitment to award a specified amount of money to your organization based on the amount of new or incremental private funds raised in response to our challenge.
The amount a recipient organization ultimately receives depends on its fundraising activity after we notify the organization of the challenge grant award.
We believe that challenge grants are powerful tools in the fundraising toolboxes of the organizations we support, and evidence from grant recipients confirms this. Our grantees report that their challenge grants have helped them:
- Attract new donors and prospects
- Raise more dollars from current donors
- Increase board participation in giving and raising funds
- Re-engage lapsed donors
- Communicate excitement, enthusiasm and uniqueness
- Refine planning
- Improve record-keeping and information systems
- Diversify fundraising strategies and tactics
Accordingly, we make our grants as challenge grants. Please see our FAQ’s for details regarding how our challenge grants typically work.